As ever, it has been a tough call pulling together my top tracks of the year, but in what has been a difficult year due to deaths in the family, and against the backdrop of stagnant cesspit of national politics, it has been a usefully therapeutic exercise.
I’ve included links to videos of my twelve favourite tracks from 2018. You can also find a Spotify playlist at the end too. The full list is:
- Sunflower Bean – “Twentytwo“;
- Clairo – “4EVER“;
- Jungle – “Heavy, California“;
- Tom DeMac & Real Lies – “White Flowers“;
- Melody’s Echo Chamber – “Cross My Heart“;
- Trampolene – “The One Who Loves You“;
- Gwenno – “Eus Keus“;
- Scent – “Soft Scoop” (iced_coma_mix);
- Skott – “Stay Off My Mind“;
- Peggy Gou – “It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)“;
- Rhye – “Waste“;
- Junodream – “To The Moon“.
When it comes to new music, I must make a personal ‘thank you’ during 2018 to Phil Taggart (BBC Radio 1), Janice Long (BBC Radio Wales), the Late Junction team (BBC Radio 3), Jo Whiley (BBC Radio 2) and Ricky Ross (BBC Radio Scotland/BBC Radio 2) who all continue to provoke and entertain, and signpost me to things I otherwise would not have discovered.
You can find all twelve tracks via this Spotify playlist (I am freeradiodutch on Spotify):